Saturday, August 6, 2011

Taking the Plunge

In the beginning of January, I was in a new place in my life.  I had finally gotten my ex-bf to move out in November (7 months after we broke up).  I had ended a friendship that lasted over 9 years and culminated in us dating, or rather, my belief we were dating and his belief that calling me multiple times a day, sleeping with me, and telling me he wished I was with him was just him being a "good friend."  My therapy was going good and my crazies were slowly going away.  My physical health was on the upswing.  I was in control of my life, and it felt damn good.

I decided that 2011 was going to be the YEAR OF ME!  A year to do what I wanted, make the choices I always ran from, figure out who I really was, and start working towards what I wanted in my life. Which to me meant finding someone to love, finding someone who would really love me, finding someone to enjoy the rest of my life with.

All my friends are either married, in very long-term relationships, have kids, or living some crazy combination of that.  I work from home and I'm not in school anymore.  I'm not a bar-girl or a club-girl, and my hobbies aren't the type you find a lot of single, straight men involved with (chances of finding a 6'6" broad shouldered musicians with tattoos browsing the local antique store?  Less than zero).  So I had only one place left to look for love...the Internet.

(Insert the monster music from your favorite B-Horror movie here.)

Yes, the Internet.

But I had a little hope; Amy had met her now-hubby online, April had met her now-boyfriend online, and I had had luck in the past meeting guys online (that's where I had met my social-anxiety riddled ex four year ago.  A depressed, anxiety-ridden, sociophobiac looking for love online, go figure.).

So I spent a week writing and rewriting my profile, then threw it away and started again.  When I finally had something I liked, I created an account on the site April had used, and took the plunge.  And you know what?  Turns out there are plenty of fish in the sea.  Little did I know it, but I was chum and I was diving into the middle of a Great White feeding frenzy.

And so it began...

No comments:

Post a Comment